Sunday, June 25, 2006

I have the Visa power!

Howdy everyone! Got my visa day before yesterday..yippee.. the appointment was as follows
23rd June
Mumbai Consulate
Time 9 30 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reached at around 8 45 at the embassy directly( hadnt taken the VFS lounge option) and saw people from 9 am appointments getting in line. I stood around in the back for a few minutes after which the line for 9 30 was called. I was so relaxed on the earlier day and even today morning but somehow the whole atmosphere at the embassy is so charged up and intimidating that you can bet your last buck even "Ice Man Steve Waugh" will get a bit zonked out!

So anyway, i waited in line for about 15 minutes, the time was 9 20..took out my i-20, sevis, passport and hdfc receipt and waited some more.
Finally i was called inside for security check. I had left my wallet,watch etc with Dad so no probs there.. i was given the wooden stick which i took in the inner hall. Inside the scene was that of total commotion, gujrati announcements and usual anxious faces, serious discussions..however i turned left and joined the line to get the pink token.

Here the person stapled my passport with the token quite horribly,handed me the processed DS forms and asked me to proceed to fingerprinting, right ahead. I was so friggin tense that my hands were sweating and the lady out there had to wipe them 4 times with some sorta spirit to finally get a reading on the electronic screen.

The scenario was like that of a bank. So many people bumbling about that it was kinda funny and relaxing too! Then i took a seat in the waiting area(it is advisable to take a front row seat) in front of the counters and waited for my turn. Contrary to everyone's experience, i could easily make out the announcements being made for the applicants as to which applicant no is called to which counter.

At about 9 45 my number was called alongwith a couple of others to counter no 6 occupied by a pleasant young lady. She must be hardly 30.
So i step inside

I went in and suddenly all fear, anxiety and stress vanished away. The booth is sound proof and the quiet atmosphere somewhat chills you down.


VO:Hi! Good Morning! How are you?
Me:Good Morning! I am fine thank you(Big smile!)

VO:Ok, so why did you choose Indiana University at Bloomington
Me: M'am coz its CS department is highly ranked and has one of the best labs when it comes to research in Distributed Systems, which is my interest.

VO:Ok. Good. So why CS?
ME:(D-uh, if im interested in Distributed,what else would i take? Civil?)
So i explain the whole interest in the subject all over again

VO:Ok. (with a smile)But you really dont have to stoop and talk in the mike, i can hear you perfectly well!
Me: (in my nervousness and stupidity, i stoop down again to say) Oh, sorry M'am!(with an equally sheepish grin!)

VO: (Laughing) ok so do you have any brothers or sisters?
Me: Yes. I have one brother who is doing his Masters in the US

VO:Show me your i-20
Me:Here it is(Hands over the i-20 lying in my hand...folder still closed)

VO:So how are your parents going to afford your 29k$ mentioned in the i-20 AND your brothers education as well?
Me: Well they have saved up for both our education and have enough assets to pay for our education. Should i show my liquid assets summary statement?

VO: No, no need
Me:OK (Phew!..Visa power..here i come..though somewhat regretting the effort wasted in arranging the file!)

VO:So what do your parents do?
Me:My Dad is a General Manager etc etc and my Mom is a professor of English Literature

VO:(Completely baited..i just reel her in) Wow! thats great...english lit huh..(prolly wishing she could discuss Chaucer with her)..cool
Me:(Smiling)

VO:Ok im issuing your visa. Passport will be couriered in a few days. Thank you!
Me: Thank you! (mwaaah meri jaan..life banaa di)

Grinning proudly, i step out..10 15 am..the mere mortals in the waiting room look at the absence of passport in my hand and realize i have been granted the visa. They clap, they cheer, they do a standing ovation and the girls come out and we all discoed till the evening!

LOL sorry couldnt help the end

----------------------------------------------------------

Well finally the journey which started from last july when i started my GRE prep has finally come to an end. All that remains is what i do witht he chance i have been given. An intimidating thought but still a path i am really looking forward towards!

1 comment:

Ashutosh Deo said...

congrats...

so u have cleared the final hurdle.. great!

lol @ mwaah meri jaan life bana di....

u shud have said dat to her :p as it is she wouldnt have understood ;)